KCWY-TV News 13 is a full-service television station and the NBC and CW network affiliate serving the state of Wyoming with news, information and advertising. KCWY broadcasts nearly 20 hours of live, local news every week and has consistently been rated #1 in news by Nielsen since 2003. The station also produces other local programming and commercials with state-of-the-art equipment. KCWY broadcasts statewide with translators in Laramie, Riverton, Sheridan and Cody.
You will live in the boundary between high desert and mountains, with clean air and with multiple outdoor recreation activities. It's a short drive to beautiful lakes, mountains and ski areas. Casper Mountain is only 11 miles south of town. Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Devil's Tower, Independence Rock and the World's Largest Mineral Hot Springs in Thermopolis are all just a few hours away!
KCWY seeks an enthusiastic Bureau Reporter to join our team. A Bureau Reporter is responsible for researching, writing, shooting, and editing general assignment stories for broadcast and web. This is a position for a real self-starter. The opportunity to enterprise and source original stories is yours. You will build on previous relationships and develop new sources. The successful applicant will be able to shoot, write and edit utilizing natural sound and strong visuals, on deadline. Occasionally traveling and reporting from Western Wyoming will take you to some breathtaking areas. Here is your chance to live in clean air with multiple outdoor recreation opportunities.
- Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner
- Use editorial judgment to help determine content of the newscasts
- Use social media to determine content of newscasts and highlight big social stories
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance newscasts and stories.
- Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
- Receives assignments or evaluates leads and tips in order to develop story ideas
- Covers news in the field to generate, produce and deliver high profile special reports
- Edits video for broadcasts as necessary
- Additional duties as required by management.
- One (1) year experience in a commercial newsroom preferred, but not required
- BS/BA in journalism or communications preferred.
- Ability to shoot, write and edit your own stories as necessary
- Experience with posting stories to social media
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Computer literacy, including newsroom computer systems
- Schedule flexibility (Schedules can shift from time to time to other shifts and/or weekends
depending on staffing)
- A valid driver`s license and a good driving record with no DUIs.
** A link to candidate’s reel, to include clips of reporting is required and should be included with your application **
Apply online at: www.gray.tv/applynow