CASPER, Wyo. Many of us will use portable heaters in our homes, which can cause fires if not maintained.
They should be plugged directly into outlets and not into an extension cord or power strips.
Current conditions leave us vulnerable to frostbite if we're outside longer than 30 minutes.
Firefighters said to never use alcohol or caffeine to warm up, as it can make symptoms worse.
"Alcohol and caffeine in cold temperatures can elevate the blood pressure and dilate the veins. People may notice a warm effect from alcohol consumption. That's actually the bodies' external parts of the veins in your hands and arms opening up." Said Dane Anderson of the Casper Fire-EMS.
Symptoms of frostbite include numbness and red or blue looking skin.