Christmas Tree Troubles to Avoid this Holiday Season

By  | 

For many families the Christmas tree is an important piece of the holidays.

News 13's Jacquie Palizzi spoke with experts about keeping your family and tree safe this Christmas.

It's beginning to look like a white Christmas in Casper and the tree is a key part of the holidays.

Whether it is fake or real tree, both can be hazardous and cause problems.

Dr. Freeman from Mountain View Regional Hospital commented, “Even with artificial trees up in the attic there is mold involved in the attic and you bring that down when you bring the tree down."

Mold is not only found on artificial trees, real trees also can cause problems for your family.

"When you bring a Christmas tree into the house the allergy load from mold increase about ten times."

Real trees can cause allergies, but other things can harm your family as well.

Christmas trees can cause house fires, one bad light could light it up.
Captain Patrick McJunkin from Casper Fire harped on the importance of tree upkeep.

"The most important thing is to keep it watered. You want to make sure that there is always water available to the tree so it can bring water into the branches."

A good reminder McJunkin pointed out, water and electricity don't mix.
When decorating your perfect Christmas tree, lighting your tree can be a hassle. Firstly, make sure you plug it into a wall circuit so you don't overload the circuit.

If you plug it into an overloaded outlet, it could cause a house fire.

Speaking of house fires, tree placement is also important.

"If you can, avoid placing that tree next to a heat register where you are going to have consistently blowing air from a furnace or something."

A final thought, find a place where you can enjoy your tree while keeping your family safe.

Something to keep in mind when decorating whether you are opening a brand new package of lights or using a string you’ve had for years, always make sure to check for frayed or bare wires or loose connections which could cause fire hazards.