Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. We own and operate leading media outlets in over 50 markets throughout the country – all delivering the news, weather, sports and entertainment that millions of our neighbors count on every day. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
KCWY-TV News 13 is a full-service television station and the NBC and CW network affiliate serving the state of Wyoming with news, information and affordable advertising. KCWY broadcasts nearly 20 hours of live, local news every week and has consistently been rated #1 in news by Nielsen since 2003. The station also produces other local programming and commercials with state-of-the-art equipment. KCWY broadcasts statewide with translators in Laramie, Riverton, Sheridan and Cody.
Casper is the second-largest city in Wyoming, according to the 2010 census. Casper is nicknamed "The Oil City" and has a long history of oil boomtown and cowboy culture, dating back to the development of the nearby Salt Creek Oil Field. In 2010, Casper was named the highest-ranked family-friendly small city in the West, and ranked eighth overall in the nation in Forbes magazine's list of "the best small cities to raise a family". Casper is located in east-central Wyoming at the foot of Casper Mountain, the north end of the Laramie Mountain Range, along the North Platte River. Casper is the place where the boundaries between natural and urban landscapes blur, offering unparalleled access to recreation and culture among brilliant blue skies and wide open spaces. As a year-round mountain town, we celebrate the great outdoors across every season
KCWY seeks an enthusiastic Reporter to join our team. A Reporter is responsible for researching, writing, shooting, and editing general assignment stories for broadcast and web.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Suggests viable story ideas daily at meetings.
• Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner
• Use editorial judgement to help determine content of the newscasts
• Use social media to determine content of newscasts and highlight big social stories
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance newscasts and stories.
• Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility
• Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
• Receives assignments or evaluates leads and tips in order to develop story ideas
• Covers news in the field to generate, produce and deliver high profile special reports
• Edits video for broadcasts as necessary
• Additional duties as required by management.
Required Skills & Experience:
• One (1) year experience in a commercial newsroom preferred, but not required
• BS/BA in journalism or communications preferred.
• Ability to shoot, write and edit your own stories as necessary
• Experience with posting stories to social media
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Computer literacy, including newsroom computer systems
• Schedule flexibility (Schedules can shift from time to time to other shifts and/or weekends
depending on staffing)
• A valid driver`s license and a good driving record with no DUIs.
** A link to candidate’s reel, to include clips of reporting is required
and should be included with your application **
Go to the Gray Television Careers page at: www.gray.tv/careers
Search for our station, KCWY, click on the position you are applying for and follow the online instructions.
Gray Television Group, Inc. dba KCWY
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
This employer does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, race,
color, religion, handicap, national origin, marital or veteran’s status.
We use E-Verify.
Posting Date: 07/14/2017